Sunday, February 21, 2010

My mind "over runneth" with learning theories!

  • Now that you have a deeper understanding of the different learning theories and learning styles, how has your view on how you learn changed?
    • Over the length of this class, I have developed a much broader understanding of learning theories, including simply the number of theories that exist! I was very naive in labeling myself simply as a visual learner! I think my greatest "aha!" moment came when we explored the nature of adult learners, and I recognized myself in the description of this particular group of learners and how I have been this independent, self-motivated learner who wants my learning to be relevant and immediately applicable. I also agree with the NCREL description of adult learners that stated that says, "Transfer of learning for adults is not automatic and must be facilitated" (n.a.). I've really struggled with all of this new information in this particular class. I realized that I've been doing all of these things as a teacher, and as a learner, but labeling and separating them has been a challenge!

  • What have you learned about the various learning theories and learning styles over the past weeks that can further explain your own personal learning preferences?
    • As I mentioned above, my greatest revelation came from an understanding of what it means to be an adult learner. As such, it explained why I did not enjoy my university experience when I was younger, which was geared for the traditional student, while I was an atypical student who was married and lived off campus and held down a full-time job. The learning and projects weren't relevant to me, and there was no collaboration on projects, which would have been difficult for me because I didn't live on campus anyway. I am basically a social person, though, so I enjoy sharing ideas, but I still prefer the option 0f completing assignments on my own. Again, this is just a matter of practicality as I must squeeze in my assignments as my hectic schedule allows, which, again, is typical of adult learners. I want to know why I have to learn something; I need to see its immediate application and relevancy to my life (Conlan, Grabowski, & Smith, 2003). Tied in to this, I see that the theory of connectivism also applies to my learning style. I need to see how ideas are related to one another. I don't learn them well in isolation. I've noticed that this preference also shows up in my teaching then, as I consistently try to explain to students, before they even ask, why we are learning things, and how the ideas connect. Therefore, I teach grammar in context of literature and writing. I am glad that curriculum has changed over the years to reflect this thinking. I remember teaching 16 weeks of grammar to freshman years ago that was torture for both them and me!

  • What role does technology play in your learning (i.e., as a way to search for information, to record information, to create, etc.)?
    • Personally, I cannot separate technology from learning! I use technology for everything I do related to learning. Of course, as a teacher, my life revolves around learning, either on the part of students or myself as I prepare for their learning. Therefore, I not only do the research for learning using the computer, but much of the work I assign for my students and that I do for my own classes involve the use of technology such as digital photography, wikis, the use of our class website for resources I've found or created, email, online grade books, online databases, and suitable software applications like Word, Excel, Inspiration, PowerPoint, iWeb, iPhotos, iTunes, and QuickTime. My technology has become such a vital part of my life, especially my computer, that when I do no have access to it, I feel lost!
References
Conlan, J., Grabowski, S., & Smith, K.. (2003). Adult Learning. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging
perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved , from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

North Central Regional Education Labratory, Initials. (n.a.). Adult learning theory. Retrieved from http://www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/issues/methods/technlgy/te10lk12.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment