Sunday, October 24, 2010

Converting from face-to-face to distance learning



WARNING - I'm writing this through a haze of painkillers after enduring 9 surgical procedures on Friday. The good news is that I'm upright; the bad news is that despite wearing my glasses, the text keeps going "in and out." The bottom line is please forgive any errors in this!

I decided to take the approach that good teaching is good teaching no matter its format, and that therefore the key idea to converting to any distance learning environment is starting with a solid lesson plan. That's no different than in a traditional class, though. I then broke up the brochure into categories. The inside of the brochure points out the philosophy of distance learning and explains what differences to expect in a sidebar. The back of the brochure lists tips for instructional designers and facilitators to help ensure a positive learning experience for the students. I did try to use a little humor on the cover suggesting that there is no need for a melt down when facing this change! I tried to pick out the highlights upon which to focus, and I felt that the video this week really did a good job in addressing many of these specific issues related to this task.


No comments:

Post a Comment